Emmylou + Oliver – Swellendam Wedding

Posted 11 Jun 2012

This wedding promised to be special. When Emmylou booked me she asked if I was comfortable shooting while abseiling. No problemo I told her. Round the Bend, just outside Swellendam, is the Felix Unite River Rafting base camp, and also a wonderful relaxed function venue. Rainy weather put paid to any abseiling and river-rafting plans, but it created a fantastic cosy atmosphere with all the guests, who had arrived the night before, stuck indoors for the day before the ceremony.

Half an hour before the ceremony, the sun broke through the clouds and the rain stopped, allowing the ceremony plans to proceed as arranged. Emmylou and Oliver recited their vows, written just a few hours before, on a platform at the river’s edge.

The party continued late into the night, punctuated at 11pm by a fire dancer, and the midnight celebration of Emmylou’s birthday. Definitely a wedding to remember.

The bride writing her vows
The groom preparing the venue
The groom preparing the venue
Guests playing frisbee
The bride and groom
The groom writing his vows
The rain starts
The bride keeping warm
Guests entertaining themselves while it rains
Guests entertaining themselves while it rains
The bride writing her vows
The groom in the rain
Bride and father
Keeping warm by the fire
The bride and groom
Wedding reception
Wedding reception
Wedding reception

Bookmark and Share

18 comments

1. Johanna says:

Love this one, Nick! Absolutely beautifully documented. I love how this wedding really looks like them. Their personalities are shining through :)

2. Zoe says:

oooh there is all sorts of magic going on there!! Loving them x

3. Koot says:

Stunning pics. Lovly couple

4. christy says:

what an amazing capture of a very beautiful wedding. your work is stunning

5. tobiah says:

Wow what a fun fun beautiful wedding! SO SO nice! The one with the moon through the clouds is amazing!

6. Nick…absolutely fantastic photos!!! You definitely captured the lodge beautifully & I am so glad that the rain stayed away for exactly the right amount of time… Em & Oli were very specific about the feel of the Wedding & your photos definitely captured them…

7. Heather says:

This is the coolest wedding I have EVER EVER seen! She is just way adorable!!

8. Nick says:

I don’t think I have ever seen a wedding as cool as this one! The couple is so cute and I love the way you captured their unique day! Awesome!

9. matt shumate says:

What the!!?!?! This is one of the coolest weddings I’ve ever seen. No doubt these two are made for each other. That comes across so clearly in your photos.

10. Naomi Goggin says:

Oh my gosh, this is such an awesome wedding!! The bride might have the best smile I’ve ever seen. Love these photos – you really did the day justice x

11. Teresa K says:

Wow…GREAT perspective….I LOVE the way you captured their day….sooooo good!!

12. JESSIE says:

That is an amazing couple. They are so real. I love what you captured!

13. Mary Sylvia says:

Wow Nick these are fabulous! I love your take on everything and man, is she a beauty or what? Brilliant photojournalistic work here.

14. What a unique wedding…I just love how happy they both look along with the guests. Well done!

15. Ursulla Grobbelaar says:

Absolutely magnificent. The setting, the ambience and the love was just radiating through the “captured moments”. BEAUTIFUL!!!! Congratulations with lots of love and best wishes Ursulla x x x

16. stacy says:

very very cool!!!

17. Jim Mccann says:

Love the shot of the couple walking away together. You can really imagine them swinging backwards and forwards as they go!